miércoles, 10 de octubre de 2012

The use of perfect past and past continuous


Past perfect
The past perfect is formed by combining the auxiliary verb "had" with the past participle.
We use the Past Perfect tense to emphasize that an action in the past finished before another action in the past started.
Examples: 
subject + "had" + past participle

Subject
Auxiliary
Past Participle
I, You, He, She, It, We, They
had
studied, visited, worked...

Examples: 
I had [I'd] visited my mother
They had [They'd] studied English before they went to USA.
I had written the letter before you came home.
She had studied very much before the exam
You had studied English before you moved to New York.
I had finished my homework before I went playing football.
Negative sentences
I had not visited my sister before she change test
He hadn’t studied English before the test
I had not bought a new dress.
You had not cleaned the house.
Question
Had you cleaned the house?
Had he brought the gifts?
Had she lost the credit card?
Past continuous
We usually use the Past Continuous to talk about activities that lasted for some time in the past. The actions can be interrupted by something or can be happening at the same time.
Use the Past Continuous to talk about actions or situations that lasted for some time in the past, and whose duration time is unknown or unimportant.
The Past Continuous is often used when one action in progress is interruped by another action in the past. The Past simple is used in such sentences. We usually use when or while to link these two sentences.
was/were + (-ing) + Complement

Examples.
I was watching TV yesterday in the evening.
She was sleeping on the couch.
He was swimming in the pool
I was talking with my friend when the telephone rang.
When she was making the homework, it started raining.
Question
 Was she going to the mall when it started raining?  
Were you painting your house yesterday at 5 PM?
Was Mary shopping when the mall was burning?
Negative
I wasn't playing tennis at 11.00
You weren't drinking
john wasn’t eating because he was feeling sick.
Jeff wasn’t watching TV.
My parents weren’t having a good time because it was very cold in Canada


Bibliografia
“Touchstone” Michael McCarthy Jeanne McCarten Helen Sandiford
Volume 1
Cambridge University
12th printing 2009

“Touchstone” Michael McCarthy Jeanne McCarten Helen Sandiford
Volume 2
Cambridge University
12th printing 2009

“Upload” Virginia Evans jenny Dooley
Volume 4
Express publishing
Second impression 2011

www.englishclub.com
www.inglestotal.com


Carolina Torres
diseño de modas 

 



escuelas - Monterrey

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario